[Lingtyp] agent nominalization

Doris Payne dlpayne at uoregon.edu
Wed Jan 6 17:23:54 UTC 2016

You may find the following paper of interest. The paper lists quite a number of nominalizers in this Eastern Nilotic language, but especially explores the patterning of two nominalizers relative to semantic role versus animacy, and lexical aspect of the verb roots involved. (Un)known and/or speculated-on diachronic sources are also listed.

Payne, Doris L. and Derek Olsen. 2009. Maa (Maasai) Nominalization: Animacy, Agentivity and Instrument.

In Selected Proceedings of the 38th Annual Conference on African Linguistics, ed. Masangu Matondo, Fiona

Mc Laughlin, and Eric Potsdam, 151-165. Somerville, MA: Cascadilla Proceedings Project. www.lingref.com <http://www.lingref.com> , document #2143

http://www.lingref.com/cpp/acal/38/paper2143.pdf

-          Doris

Doris L. Payne