[Lingtyp] Structural congruence as a dimension of language complexity/simplicity

Alan Jones alan.jones at mq.edu.au
Sun Jan 17 00:32:28 UTC 2016

Hi Alan,

I don’t know how useful you will find an excursus into generative linguistics<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Generative_linguistics> but generativists have something called the Principles and parameters framework which corresponds in most respects to the head-directionality principle described by Nichols and which (following generative logic) has profound implications for the simplicity aka learnability of a language.

Within the PP framework, the syntax<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Syntax> of a language<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Natural_language> is described in terms of general principles (or abstract rules) and specific parameters (i.e. markers or switches) that for particular languages can be either turned on or turned off. The position of heads<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Head_(linguistics)> in phrases is determined by such a parameter. The notion of such a ‘switch’ makes sense to me as in learning Turkish or Japanese (or Mekeo), I found I only had to cope with the novelty of head-final word order once; after that the general ordering principle becomes quite natural and expected.

The Principles and Parameters framework, qua research program, has set out to explain the gap between linguistic knowledge and linguistic competency. I.e., given the finite, corrupt or incomplete input<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poverty_of_the_stimulus> children have access to, how do they so rapidly arrive at a (fairly) accurate and complete grammatical competence. Principles and parameters are here held to be part of universal grammar<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Universal_grammar> (UG) and are thus ‘innate’ – at least as potential. Hence they do not need to be learned by exposure to any given natural language. Exposure triggers the appropriate parameters, causing the brain to adopt certain ‘settings’, e.g., it might be set to expect and produce either head-final or dependent final structures across the board. I don’t know how they account for the kinds of exceptions to the general rule of directionality that most grammars of natural languages exhibit. Perhaps someone else can help.

Alan

Alan Jones, PhD,

Adjunct Professor,

Macquarie University,