[Lingtyp] Structural congruence as a dimension of language complexity/simplicity

Randy John LaPolla (Prof) RandyLaPolla at ntu.edu.sg
Tue Jan 19 07:24:38 UTC 2016

Hi Matthew,
Are you kidding me? Do you really think that when people read a characterisation of word order in a language which says the language is Subject-Verb-Object that readers are not going to assume that the language not only has those categories, but that they must be significant in the determination of the word order (or vice versa) for such a characterisation to be used? Why else would anyone use such a characterisation? And if it doesn’t imply the existence of these syntactic categories or their relation to word order, why use such a characterisation?

It also seems like you are making something like the argument the Chomskyans made against Nick Evans & Levinson's and Vyv Evans’ typological arguments against universals, that typological facts have no relevance to the sort of things they are talking about in your abstract model. You are saying the categorical labels you use in your typological classifications have no relation to the actual typological facts of the language. So, for example, we apply the category label “subject" to a language, even though we know it doesn’t have anything like a subject. Do you really want to say that? My own view has always been to stick with the actual facts of the languages. I don’t know what use a typological classification that was not based on the facts of the languages would have.

Randy