[Lingtyp] Structural congruence

Chao Li chao.li at aya.yale.edu
Tue Jan 19 17:43:08 UTC 2016

I just want to quickly add the following, which, I believe, is very
relevant to the ongoing discussion. I think it is important to recognize
that Prof. Dryer’s subject is (more or less) equivalent to A and his object
to P, as he himself explained (http://wals.info/chapter/81). As a result,
when he claimed, for example, that Chinese has the SVO order, he was
actually claiming that the language has the AVP order. Therefore,
definitions and explanations of the terms used do matter at lot (in this
respect, the use of “subject” to mean “pivot” is another use of the term
“subject”, a usage that, I think, is also quite different from the
traditional notion of “subject”).

Best,
Chao