[Lingtyp] Structural congruence

Peter Arkadiev peterarkadiev at yandex.ru
Wed Jan 20 22:34:36 UTC 2016

Martin, I agree that doing typology is of course different from language description, but I am reluctant to subscribe to the view that these are two fully disjoint enterprises with entirely different logical and epistemological bases. You give Dahl's "Tense and aspect systems" as an example, but in my view this work is notably not only about comparative concepts and typology, but also about ways to adequately describe particular languages, which has been proved by successful application of TMA questionnaire to many languages beyond the initial sample. If, based on the TMA questionnaire, one says that "language A has a past perfective", this is a statement which makes sense from the point of view of the system of this language, not only for the purposes of comparison. Moreover, I am wondering how typology of grammatical systems can be achieved without taking into account how the systems of particular languages work.

Best,

Peter

--
Peter Arkadiev, PhD