[Lingtyp] Structural congruence

Matthew Dryer dryer at buffalo.edu
Wed Jan 20 23:31:40 UTC 2016

Peter,

I can’t speak for Martin, but since my views on this are very similar to
his, let me respond from my point of view. When I say "describing or
analyzing a particular language is a completely different enterprise
from classifying the language typologically", I do not intend to deny
that the two enterprises are very tightly linked. You cannot classify
languages typologically without “taking into account how the systems of
particular languages work”.

Consider your example “If, based on the TMA questionnaire, one says that
"language A has a past perfective", this is a statement which makes
sense from the point of view of the system of this language, not only
for the purposes of comparison.” I would argue that “language A has a
past perfective” does NOT make sense from the point of view of the
system of the language. The language will have a particular aspectual
category with specific semantic and morphosyntactic properties and it
may satisfy the definition of a comparative concept “past perfective”.
But what defines that particular aspectual category is the specific
semantic and morphosyntactic properties it has in the system of the
language. If you spell out those semantic and morphosyntactic properties
in great detail, then you’ve described that category. The statement
“language A has a past perfective” doesn’t add anything to what you have
already said. It only says something about how that language-particular
category resembles categories in other languages, but it tells us
nothing about the system in language A.

The point is clearest if the language you are describing has an
aspectual category that bears some resemblance to what people have
called past perfectives in other languages but differs somewhat.If you
have fully described the aspectual category in your language, then
answering the question of whether that category is a past perfective
cannot add anything to what you have said. The aspectual category in
your language is defined by its properties in the system of your
language. The question of whether that aspectual category is an instance
of a past perfective thus has no bearing on the system of your language
since once you have fully described that aspectual category in your
language, you have said all there is to be said about that category as
far as the system of your language is concerned.

Matthew