[Lingtyp] Structural congruence as a dimension of language complexity/simplicity

bingfu Lu lubingfu at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 21 02:56:25 UTC 2016

May I remind the following common property that fits all languages.As Pesetsky (1995:185)points out,in all languages, a verb can have four arguments at most. Here are some examples where the verbs each have four arguments, including the subject. (10) Sue bet [John] [$500] [that the world would end on Tuesday].(11) Bill wagered [me] [a day'spay] [that the world would end on Wednesday].(12) Mary sold [her car] [to John] [for $500].
Pesetsky,David M. (1995)  Zero Syntax: Experiencers and Cascades, Cambridge, MA:MIT Press.
And I would like to raise another quantitative universal:In all languages, in a clause, a verb cannot carry more thanabout seven (7+2)dependents (arguments and adjuncts).
I would like to hear counter-examples if the above two universals not correct.