[Lingtyp] Response to Dryer

Jan Rijkhoff linjr at dac.au.dk
Fri Jan 22 16:32:20 UTC 2016

This is just a quick response to Matthew about the position of adjectives in the noun phrase (I may give a more elaborate response when I have more time).
Perhaps the more general question to some of the contributors to this discussion is: does Morphosyntactic Typology make sense, if it were true that there is no empirical basis for a comparison, i.e. if actual linguistic forms and constructions are basically incomparable within and across languages?

First (adjective): recall that I only took into account cases that involve un-derived members of the word class Adjective (thus ignoring, for example, classifying/relational adjectives like ‘evolutionary’ in ‘evolutionary biology’).

Second (relative clauses): I do not say that relative clauses cannot occur in between num and N (see, for example, Rijkhoff 2004: 309-311).

My claim is: if a language has a dedicated class of (qualifying) adjectives, a modifying adjective will occur next to the head noun in the NP (‘Principle of Head Proximity’), as in these ‘iconic’ patterns:

   dem num A N     dem A N num     num A N dem     A N num dem
   dem num N A     dem N A num     num N A dem     N A num dem

If a language employs members of these four word classes (which are not regarded as members of semantic categories here) in the same NP, then we should only find these eight word order patterns, because they reflect scopal differences among the various modifiers (‘Scope Principle’) - but only in the case of simple (non-complex), integral (hierarchically organized) NPs (‘Principle of Domain integrity’).* This is true for approximately 50% of the languages in my sample (Rijkhoff 2004: 328; apparent counterexamples to my claim of ‘adjective-noun adjacency’ are discussed on pp. 266-276). The other languages were excluded for various reasons, such as:

- use of verbal or nominal (i.e. complex, phrasal) constructions to express cardinal or adjectival notions (see examples in my first contribution to this discussion);
- co-occurrence restrictions: in some languages a NP can only accommodate one or two modifiers (see e.g. Foley on Yimas);
- constituent has no attributive use (e.g. in Hixkaryana ‘demonstratives are not used adjectivally’);
- the ‘modifier’ is expressed as a bound form (affix, part of compound);
- the ‘modifier’ is an appositional element (rather than a fully integrated constituent of the noun phrase; this is often the case in Australian languages and in languages that have a numeral classifier construction after the noun).

As far as I can remember, these factors do not a major play a role in Matthew’s word order studies, but in my view they are highly relevant in a cross-linguistic investigation of word order patterns. I have discussed them in various places (see especially Rijkhoff 2004: 327-332; also Rijkhoff 2015).

So I had to exclude 50% of the languages in my sample so to be able to make a responsible cross-linguistic comparison regarding the relative order of demonstrative, numeral, adjective, and noun in a simple, integral NP. I think this shows that, if we are careful enough**, we can compare actual forms and constructions across languages. This is possible if we let go of the idea that we can compare everything in all languages. We need to systematically reduce the data we collected for a morphosyntactic investigation until we are left with a database that contains only those units that are similar enough (in terms of function, meaning and form) to allow for a responsible cross-language comparison. Obviously the elimination procedure should be fully transparent, so that others can judge for themselves if the remaining data are similar enough to be compared for the purpose of the investigation.

* In NPs that cannot be characterized as ‘simple (non-complex), integral (hierarchically organized) NPs’, the influence of other factors (e.g. heaviness) may interfere with the Scope Principle.
** If this discussion continues long enough, I may outline what this careful approach involves.

Jan Rijkhoff

Rijkhoff, Jan. 2004. The Noun Phrase. Oxford: Oxford University Press. [Expanded paperback of the 2002 Hb edition]