[Lingtyp] comparative concepts

Everett, Daniel DEVERETT at bentley.edu
Sat Jan 23 12:29:59 UTC 2016

Misunderstanding of Locke (Berkeley, Hume, etc). He did not deny objective entities in the world. Merely the obectivity of how we understand/describe them. In this sense we describe things in languages and things in typology/theory. Though one is farther removed from direct perception both are our best bets on how things fit together. Every theory is like this - deciding on how to label our specific experiences and then agreeing on generalizations about/between them.

These are important discussions but their subject matter is common. Interestingly, though, since I believe that such ontological lines in the sand are culturally drawn, the internet facilitates this by providing a space where nearly the entire community of typologists, etc can agree in principle on such cultural matters.

Dan

Sent from my iPhone