[Lingtyp] comparative concepts

David Gil gil at shh.mpg.de
Sun Jan 24 14:02:07 UTC 2016

On 24/01/2016 22:38, Stef Spronck wrote:
> Apologies for jumping into a discussion in which so many senior colleagues have made much more qualified comments. But surely the issue is not whether anybody believes that 'languages may differ without bounds'?
>
> Don't the differences of opinion rather lie in whether in order to discover the nature of those 'bounds' it is most
> sensible to presuppose categories based on our deep analysis of the relatively limited range of individual languages we have at our disposal, or that we would like to treat the extent of the variation as an empirical question (and how to best do that)?
>
> Both positions would seem entirely defendable to me, but result in very different conceptualisations of typology.
>
> Best,
> Stef
Good question Stef (and no need for apologies!)

Since I was the one who introduced the issue of "differing without
bounds" into the discussion, let me try and clarify.

First, I do believe that some of the participants in this discussion do
subscribe to the notion that languages may differ without bounds, but
since I state this based on impressions from casual conversations, I
will leave it to the person(s) in question to fess up to this view if
they so wish.

But secondly, if you do — like myself — believe that there are limits to
how languages may vary from each other, or, to use an alternative
formulation, that there exist exceptionless linguistic universals, then
the existence of such limits impinges on the discussion of language
specific categories vs. comparative concepts.  The question then arises
why such bounds or limits exist, and, as has been amply discussed, there
could be many different reasons, including but not limited to the
following: • monogenesis (all languages inherited the putative universal
feature from a shared protolanguage) • historical accident (languages
violating the putative universal feature could exist, and indeed may
have existed in the past, it's just that today's contemporary languages
all accidentally happen to uphold the feature in question • diachrony
(there is no plausible path for a language upholding the putative
universal feature to develop into a language violating it) • cognitive
constraints (our minds can't deal with languages that violate the
putative universal feature – be it a general cognitive constraint or one
specific to a hypothetical grammar module).  Now it seems to me that
some of these reasons, in particular the latter one, involving cognitive
constraints, might arguably entail that the constraint underlying the
universal in question could be represented not only at the level of a
cross-linguistic generalization but also within the grammars of
individual languages.  Though I'm sure that such a conclusion can and
will be contested ...

--
David Gil

Department of Linguistic and Cultural Evolution
Max Planck Institute for the Science of Human History
Kahlaische Strasse 10, 07745 Jena, Germany

Email: gil at shh.mpg.de
Mobile Phone (Indonesia): +62-812-73567992