[Lingtyp] comparative concepts

Zygmunt Frajzyngier zygmunt.frajzyngier at colorado.edu
Sun Jan 24 22:56:05 UTC 2016

In our forthcoming book The role of functions in syntax: a unified
approach to language theory,
description, and typology (Zygmunt Frajzyngier
with Erin Shay, to appear; Amsterdam: Benjamins), we demonstrate that if
one takes a language as a system (see Gilbert Lazard¹s last email) one can
explain similarities and differences across languages without recourse to
comparative concepts. The only elements used in such a comparison are the
functions actually encoded in individual languages. The approach does not
require aprioristic definitions of any kind. (See also Frajzyngier 2013:
Non-aprioristic typology as a discovery tool. In Functional-Historical
Approaches to Explanation: In honor of Scott
DeLancey, ed. by Tim Thornes, Erik Andvik, Gwen Hyslop and Joana Jansen.
Amsterdam: John Benjamins, 3-25.)

Best,
Zygmunt

-- Zygmunt Frajzyngier
Professor
Dept. of Linguistics, Box 295
University of Colorado,
Boulder, CO 80309
USA
Phone: 303-492-6959
Fax: 303-492-4416
http://spot.colorado.edu/~frajzyng/

On 1/24/16, 3:44 PM, "Lingtyp on behalf of Siva Kalyan"
<lingtyp-bounces at listserv.linguistlist.org on behalf of