[Lingtyp] Edited volume

Volker Gast volker.gast at uni-jena.de
Wed Jan 27 09:22:25 UTC 2016

While I agree with Sebastian that some of the topics discussed on this
list in the past two weeks or so are important, I disagree that they are
novel. Wrapping them up in a volume might be a good idea, but the title
would certainly not be 'New Directions in Linguistic Typology', but
rather 'Perennial issues in ...' or 'Foundations of Linguistic
Typology'. I'm not sure if that volume would contain anything
substantially new, however, in comparison to what some of the 'senior'
colleagues have written in their published work -- but again, it might
be useful to bundle the discussion in a single volume. In any case, in
my view such a volume should also include contributions from what I
would call 'non-essentialist' typology, as represented in Evans &
Levinson (2009), for instance.

Volker