[Lingtyp] derivational sources of participles and sources of passive

Randy John LaPolla (Prof) RandyLaPolla at ntu.edu.sg
Sun Jul 3 02:15:09 UTC 2016

Hi Sergey,
Related to the development of middle marking and deponents, as well as the extension (what I assume you mean by “refine” and “abstractivize”) of morphological marking, I have the following paper:

LaPolla, Randy J. 1995. On the utility of the concepts of markedness and prototypes in understanding the development of morphological systems. Bulletin of the Institute of History and Philology  66.4:1149-1185.
http://randylapolla.net/papers/LaPolla_1995_On_the_Utility_of_the_Concepts_of_Markedness_and_Prototypes_in_Understanding_the_Development_of_Morphological_Systems.pdf

And for more on the development of reflexive to middle to stativization, the following paper gives more details on one of the issues discussed in the 1995 paper:

LaPolla, Randy J. & Yang, Jiangling. 2005. Reflexive and middle marking in Dulong-Rawang. Himalayan Linguistics 2: 1-13
 http://randylapolla.net/Papers/LaPolla_and_Yang_2005_Reflexive_and_Middle_Marking_in_Dulong-Rawang.pdf

All the best,
Randy
-----
Prof. Randy J. LaPolla, PhD FAHA (羅仁地)| Division of Linguistics and Multilingual Studies | Nanyang Technological University
HSS-03-45, 14 Nanyang Drive, Singapore 637332 | Tel: (65) 6592-1825 GMT+8h | Fax: (65) 6795-6525 | http://randylapolla.net/