[Lingtyp] Americanist contributions to typology

Randy John LaPolla (Prof) RandyLaPolla at ntu.edu.sg
Sun Jul 3 02:54:47 UTC 2016

Hi David,
Individual phenomena would be things like the awareness of the possibility of hierarchical systems and inverse marking and “4th person” marking, but more important than individual phenomena is the whole influence of work on American languages and cultures to the development of anthropology and subsequently linguistics in the US, and their influence elsewhere. In particular was the influence on the Romanticist school, from Humboldt through Boas to Sapir to Whorf and Sapir’s students and the influence they had on many of us working now, with Boas founding the field of modern anthropology based on work on American cultures, from which anthropological linguistics/linguistic anthropology developed. Bloomfieldian Structuralism was also influenced by work on American languages (see Hockett’s 1948 article in Language 24: 117-31, "Implications of Bloomfield's Algonquian studies” (also in Readings in Linguistics).

Randy
-----
Prof. Randy J. LaPolla, PhD FAHA (羅仁地)| Division of Linguistics and Multilingual Studies | Nanyang Technological University
HSS-03-45, 14 Nanyang Drive, Singapore 637332 | Tel: (65) 6592-1825 GMT+8h | Fax: (65) 6795-6525 | http://randylapolla.net/