[Lingtyp] Americanist contributions to typology

Larry M. HYMAN hyman at berkeley.edu
Sun Jul 3 21:19:43 UTC 2016

Thanks to Ian for making sure that phonology isn't an afterthought!

In addition, how about all of those North American place names that were
central in figuring out (American) English stress rules (Bruce Hayes etc.)?
Menongahela, Appalachicola, and so forth :)!

Good luck with the 100th Anniversary issue!

On Sun, Jul 3, 2016 at 5:48 AM, Ian Maddieson <ianm at berkeley.edu> wrote:

> I’ll leave others to talk about syntactic, morphological or semantic
> issues, but I think on the ph side that
> one of the most important contributions from American languages would be
> the study of prosodic typology.
>
> Work in the 1950’s on Oto-Manguean drew attention to some of the possible
> complexities of syllable
> patterning and tonal contrasts. More recent work on both Amazonian and
> North American languages
> has helped to build a better picture of the broad continuum of
> accentual/tonal types (e.g. work on
> Cherokee). Athabaskan languages have expanded our understanding of
> tonogenesis (e.g. Krauss).
>
> Ian
>

> On Jul 2, 2016, at 08:20, David Beck <dbeck at ualberta.ca> wrote:
>
> Hi, everyone
>
> At the International Journal of American Linguistics, we’re planning a
> 100th anniversary issue and part of it will have a survey of developments
> in linguistics and typology influenced by studies of American (in the
> Arctic-to-Tierra-del-Fueego sense) languages. So, I thought I would do a
> bit of a straw poll and ask the typological community what areas they
> thought had been most influenced by data from American languages (rather
> than relying on my own narrow point of view). Thoughts?
>
> cheers,
>
> David
>

> Ian Maddieson
>
> Department of Linguistics
> University of New Mexico
> MSC03-2130
> Albuquerque NM 87131-0001

Larry M. Hyman, Professor of Linguistics & Executive Director,
France-Berkeley Fund
Department of Linguistics, University of California, Berkeley
Vice-President & President-Elect, Linguistic Society of America
http://linguistics.berkeley.edu/people/person_detail.php?person=19