[Lingtyp] Lexical nominalisation of property concepts

Luigi Talamo luigi.talamo at unibg.it
Fri Jun 10 15:01:56 UTC 2016

Dear all,
thanks a lot for your all answers, I really appreciate that.
I have found your data very interesting, many comments will follow :-)
I begin below with David's answer.

One of the two kinds of nominalization mentioned in the query ('beautiful'
> > 'beautiful one') is the subject of my WALS map #61 "Adjectives without
> Nouns".
>
> David

Thanks David, I have read your WALS map at the beginning of my work; maybe
you remember that we have exchanged a couple of e-mails some time ago. As
you mention in the WALS article, the most important issue here is whether
adjectives are syntactic heads in constructions such as 'the white one',
which translates in Italian as 'quello bianco'. As you probably noticed, I
did not consider these constructions in my study, as they appear to me to
be more 'predicative' than 'referential', at least in Italian; moreover,
the syntactic head of the Italian construction is most likely the deictic
quello 'this'. But what about the Mandarin example that is reported in your
map, Wǒ yào hóng de. ? Is hóng a property concept with referential
function ?

Thanks

Luigi