[Lingtyp] absolute directionals/terms in Australian languages: update

Dorothea Hoffmann hoffmann.dorothea at gmail.com
Tue Mar 15 16:52:35 UTC 2016

Dear all,

I’ve had great responses from many of you regarding my inquiry about directional systems in Australian languages and was able to considerably expand my list of languages and references. Thank you very much everyone who got in touch with me!

I attach a summary of the current state of the research with tables indicating what absolute frames languages employ and a detailed list of references.

Here is a short summary:

the list includes a total of 48 languages: 27 Pama-Nyungan and 21 non-Pama-Nyungan
21 languages have a sun/compass-based system: 16 are Pama-Nyungan (e.g. Kayardild and Wik Mugkan) and 5 are non-Pama-Nyungan, e.g. Warrwa and Iwaidja
5 have a river-drainage-based system: all of these are non-Pama-Nyungan and include, e.g. Jaminjung and Wagiman
12 have a river-drainage- and sun/compass-based system: five are Pama-Nyungan (e.g. Yir Yoront and Gurindji), six are non-Pama-Nyungan (e.g. Gooniyandi and Dalabon) and one are certain varieties of Kriol
nine have wind-based systems: five are Pama-Nyungan (e.g. Djinang and Lardil) and four are non-Pama-Nyungan (e.g. Matngele and Iwaidja)
three languages have an ocean-based system (all in addition to wind-based systems): Pama-Nyungan Kala Lagaw Ya , and non-Pama-Nyungan Maung and Iwaidja
Bardi has a tide-based system which changes every six hours in addition to a compass/sun-based system
and only Murrinhpatha appears to have no absolute system

Please feel free to comment and add to the list and references!

All the best,

Dorothea

Dorothea Hoffmann
Website: 	http://dorotheahoffmannblog.wordpress.com