[Lingtyp] nominal classification (gender and classifiers)

Michael Daniel misha.daniel at gmail.com
Sat Apr 1 11:06:31 UTC 2017

Dear all,

re the 3+ examples provided as a counterexamples for my very tentative
generalization. I accept them, but consider them as such to different
extents.

*David suggested that Roon* is a counterexample. In his example, a vast
number of nouns may refer, roughly, either to an object or to the substance
produced from this object (or a part of this object). I think this is
indeed a good counterexample to my claim, in being an example of a system
that is, to a considerable extent if not overwhelmingly, reference-based
and flexible. I would not take the counter-objection suggested by Johanna
(that this is a productive unmarked derivational process, or conversion)
because I have a feeling that this would be a way to wave off all
counterexamples, which would make my generalization totally
non-falsifiable.
I think that I need more details on this system - David, is there any
reference? - to see how exactly the system works. Obviously, not all nouns
may be re-conceptualized as substance in an equally easy way, at least
under usual circumstances (but note David's missionary example), so it is
interesting how overwhelming flexibility is in this system.

*Doris suggested Maasai* as a similar situation. I would argue that it is
not fully similar, though a counterexample in its own way. In her paper,
she describes how Maasai nouns shift between masculine and feminine classes
depending on whether the speaker construes them as small or big or wants to
convey a pejorative meaning. After reading about this data, I would
probably separate size-effect from evaluative effect; and would certainly
distinguish between flexibility and reference-based-ness. Both - size-based
and attitude-based gender shifts (or switches, as I think Sasha Aikhenvald
calls them) lead to flexibility, but not both are equally reference-based
in the strict sense. Evalutative effects are less (or not) related to the
property of the referent but convey speaker attitude. (In this sense,
David's example provides what seems to be a truly reference-based effect to
a much greater extent. You could argue even here that speaker's stance is
involved, i.e. the same tree may be considered as an object or a substance,
but this, again, would probably make my claim non-falsifiable). I also
think that size-based effects are more reference-based than
pejorative/politeness effects - though size-effects also include a great
deal of speaker's subjectivity, more than in the object-substance example.

I think the distinction between flexibility of gender (wider) and
reference- vs discourse/attitude-based systems is an important one. The
former is a more general and more formal notion, the latter are functional
subtypes of the former, what a flexible system may convey (probably a scale
rather than a true taxonomy).

Also, I could argue that speaker attitude (at least evaluation - good vs.
bad) is still compatible with my original functional idea that you need to
have a strong anchor for agreement, because speaker attitude holds through
an utterance; but this would be another way of being an anchor, and
certainly modifies my original claim - may be rightly. So in any sense this
is a counterexample to the tentative generalization and an adjustment for
the functional explanation. If there are more examples like that, I would
now modify the original claim in the sense that gender systems (defined as
involving agreement) tend to be rigid but may become flexible - but
flexible more on discourse/indexical basis than on reference-basis. David's
system remains a counterexample.

Finally, *Katharina suggested Movima* as a counterexample. In Movima,
nominal categorization is expressed by articles, and category assignment is
flexible. This I would probably not accept as counter-example, for the
following reason. To me, Movima is not a clear case of gender system
(contra Martin above), because it is not a clear case of agreement. Typical
agreement involves different lexical items being 'hosts' to agreement
markers across different constituents. Articles are commonly considered
grammatical elements, and described as periphrastic nominal markers. Under
this view, articles can not be considered targets of agreement because,
being grammatical, they belong to the same grammatical word that is, or
which contains, their supposed controller. If one adopts this view on
articles, there is no agreement involved, because nominal categorization is
expressed on the noun itself (periphrastically), not "repeated" on other
lexical items/constituents to indicate belonging to the same syntactic unit
(to use Walter's words).

Surely, this depends on your view on articles and agreement. Other views on
articles may lead to consider Movima (and probably other languages) as a
counterexample to my tentative generalization. But I have a feeling that
many, like myself, would not consider what is usually called an article to
be target of what is usually called agreement. On the other hand, articles
often have recent and transparent sources of grammaticalization (from
demonstratives etc.) which would fit my definition of agreement; and where
such demonstratives show flexible gender, they would be better
counterexamples. As I do not expect that what happens to Movima articles
happened to them _because_ they ceased to be demonstratives and started
being articles, so these counterexamples are probably out there in the big
world.

Michael Daniel