[Lingtyp] Kinship systems that distinguish age but not gender

Dineke Schokkin dineke.schokkin at anu.edu.au
Thu Aug 3 01:27:23 UTC 2017

Dear all,

Apologies for coming late to the discussion. Paluai (Austronesian, Oceanic) has four directly possessed sibling terms:

Tou- older sibling same sex
Naê- younger sibling same sex
Mwane- sibling of opposite sex, ego female
Patne- sibling of opposite sex, ego male

Thus, relative age/seniority is relevant for siblings that have the same sex as you, both for males and females. In contrast, for siblings of opposite sex their sex relative to your own is indicated, whereas relative age is irrelevant. An article co-authored by me and Ton Otto, ‘Relatives and relations in Paluai’, appeared in the June issue of Oceanic Linguistics, and discusses the socio-cultural embedding of this kinship system, including importance of seniority and inheritance rights for same-sex siblings, and the importance of the brother-sister pair in mortuary exchange ceremonies and elsewhere. It may be of interest to some of you.

Best wishes,
Dineke