[Lingtyp] PASSIVE AND TENSE

Wiemer, Bjoern wiemerb at uni-mainz.de
Thu Aug 3 20:16:43 UTC 2017

Dear Sergey,
I suppose you are familiar with Nedjalkov’s work on resultatives (1983 in Russian, 1988 in English). In many languages (for instance in Europe), the present tense resultative is practically indistinguishable from the passive, and the passive evolves from the object-oriented resultative. Thus, aren’t the folllowing observations, which go back to Nedjalkov’s seminal work, related to your questions and, in part, provide you with an answer?
According to an implicational relationship established by Nedjalkov/Jaxontov (1983: 26, 32f. [1988: 36, 47f.]), the actional passive reading is most difficult to get in the present tense, while it is facilitated in the past and the future. This implication allows to predict that the actional passive reading is abandoned first in the present tense. This is what we actually observe in Russian.

Maybe, this proves to be of help.
Best,
Björn.