[Lingtyp] Fwd: Your message to Alt awaits moderator approval

Ruth Singer rsinger at unimelb.edu.au
Wed Aug 23 23:35:50 UTC 2017

Hi Kristine,

The Mawng Ngaralk (Mawng language) website contains outcomes of language
documentation efforts at Warruwi Community (Australia) over the last 50
years, which include specifically targeted language documentation projects.
The material is mainly in the Mawng language but reflects the multilingual
nature of language use there so includes Kunbarlang, Kunwinjku (Bininj
Kunwok), English and Torres Strait Kriol. The website aims to meet a range
of community needs rather than reflecting a single language documentation
project.

http://www.mawngngaralk.org.au/main/index.php

Cheers,

Ruth

On 24 August 2017 at 05:36, Ljuba Veselinova <ljuba at ling.su.se> wrote:

> Message forwarded on behalf of Kristine Hildebrandt
> Dear ALT Community (apologies for cross-posting this on other list-servs):
>
> This message is aimed at those members of the ALT community who direct or
> participate in language documentation projects.
>
> I am fully aware that many contemporary language documentation projects
> include as an outcome the deposit of some or all materials in one (or more)
> archives, whether at the researcher’s home institution, or with the
> language community, or with other archival resources like
> ELAR/PARADISEC/Kaipuleohone/DELAMAN (and others).
>
> I’m requesting information on a somewhat different (but still related)
> outcome: web pages that are in essence “project home pages” for a language
> documentation initiative. These may or may not link to archived materials.
> They may also (or instead) have pages or links to other aspects of the
> documentation efforts, including selected materials, pictures, project team
> member profiles, blogs, and/or news releases. Here are some selected
> examples of what I already know about:
>
> 1. (my own project page for my collaborative work in Manang, Nepal)
> https://mananglanguages.isg.siue.edu/
>
> 2. David Rood’s Wichita project: http://www.colorado.e
> du/linguistics/faculty/rood-old/Wichita/index.html
>
> 3. Juliette Blevins and Andrew Garrett’s Yurok project:
> http://linguistics.berkeley.edu/~yurok/index.php
>
> 5. Alan Yu’s Washo project: https://lucian.uchicago.edu/blogs/washo/
>
> 5. Suzanne Cook and Barry Carlson’s Lacandon project:
> http://web.uvic.ca/lacandon/
>
> 6. The various language projects housed at Living Tongues:
> http://www.livingtongues.org/projects.html
>
> I would greatly appreciate hearing from other project directors with
> “project pages” to share their links with me. Beyond a partial (but still
> great) listing provided by RNLD (http://www.rnld.org/documenta
> tion_projects) I do not believe there is a central clearing house for
> links to past (still online) and current project pages (although I know
> that many other resources, for example Linguist List offer links to sites
> like Glottolog and Endangered Languages Project). And even some of those
> projects on RNLD are either no longer functioning or else perhaps they have
> relocated and the links are not yet updated. So any updates would be
> welcome, too!
>
> I ask because I have two undergraduate interns working with me (with NSF
> REU funding, so thank you NSF DEL!) to conceptualize of and design a
> combination project exhibit and local archive to house materials from my
> NSF-funded RAPID (Nepal earthquake narratives project) that are not already
> committed to other archival facilities (we will be using Omeka.org, for the
> archive itself, which has licenses distributed from our university’s ITS
> office). The project exhibit will be a Word Press page (our university also
> has WP instances), and this entire project will be housed at the home
> [...]

Dr Ruth Singer
DECRA Postdoctoral Fellow
Linguistics Program / Research Unit for Indigenous Language
School of Languages and Linguistics
Faculty of Arts
University of Melbourne 3010
Tel. +61 3 90353774