[Lingtyp] (in)alienable possession

Martin Haspelmath haspelmath at shh.mpg.de
Thu Dec 14 21:12:43 UTC 2017

On 13.12.17 13:46, Sergey Lyosov wrote:
> Dear colleagues,
>
> would you suggest me a good reference/overview on the (in)alienable
> possession as a feature of possessive noun phrases?
>
> Best wishes,
>
> Sergey

It seems to me that the following paper (paywalled, but available from
sci-hub.tw) is still the best overview of adpossessive constructions
(though it deals only with European languages):

Koptjevskaja-Tamm, Maria. 2002. Adnominal possession in the European
languages: Form and function. /STUF - Language Typology and Universals/
55(2). 141--172. DOI: 10.1524/stuf.2002.55.2.141.

§5 deals with alienable/inalienable contrasts.

A more recent (not paywalled) paper that has examples of the two types
of construction types from around the world and some discussion of the
concepts is the following:

Haspelmath, Martin. 2017. Explaining alienability contrasts in
adpossessive constructions: Predictability vs. iconicity. /Zeitschrift
für Sprachwissenschaft/ 36(2). 193--231. DOI: 10.1515/zfs-2017-0009
https://www.degruyter.com/view/j/zfsw.2017.36.issue-2/zfs-2017-0009/zfs-2017-0009.xml

However, it is not primarily an overview, but argues for a
predictability-based explanation of the observed universal tendencies.

Best,
Martin

--
Martin Haspelmath (haspelmath at shh.mpg.de)
Max Planck Institute for the Science of Human History