[Lingtyp] papercopy LT

Martin Haspelmath haspelmath at shh.mpg.de
Wed Jul 5 05:12:51 UTC 2017

"Diagnosis first, therapy second":

1. Diagnosis: Scholars need recognized publication, not out of "vanity",
but because publication (and also citation) is the currency in which we
measure success – and when publication labels are owned by private
companies, this is like a license to print money.

2. Therapy: Publication labels need to be in the hands of scholars. ALT
was founded (in part) in order to create a prestigious publication label
– and thanks to Frans's admirable efforts, LT is such a label, but it is
owned by a private company (because De Gruyter learned from Robert
Maxwell). Thus the next generation's task is to re-create a label that
is fully owned by ALT.

The issue is no longer paper vs. online, but scholarly control vs.
outside control: If De Gruyter were willing to give us the same deal
that Ubiquity is giving Glossa, then we could even stay with De Gruyter.
But they are in control (as demonstrated also by their logo on every
page of each LT paper), so they don't have to ask us.

Martin