[Lingtyp] papercopy LT -- from a "pre-war" country

Hedvig Skirgård hedvig.skirgard at gmail.com
Wed Jul 5 08:14:43 UTC 2017

Just as a sidenote to Heiko's thoughtful and insightful message, I can
really recommend following Language Science Press blog on heir business
model and the blog on OA in linguistics for more concrete details on how
these journals and publishing houses work practically.

   - http://userblogs.fu-berlin.de/langsci-press/category/business-model/
   - https://oaling.wordpress.com/

To my knowledge, no-one is suggesting switching to small institutional
journals but rather to scholarly controlled journals with support from
large funding bodies and university libraries and with the same prestige
and reviewer standard as the fully-commercial alternatives. This is why its
so important that senior people who are not in the rat race for tenure etc
lend their support to OA alternatives, and that we push our libraries and
funding organizations to support OA.

I have no doubt that there are nice people working for commercial
publishing houses, and that they've done much good in the past for which
I'm grateful. This does not mean I want to continue supporting a future
where I as a researcher will work for free reviewing for them and writing
for them and have my university library pay expensive fees. There are more
clever ways of doing this, and we're a clever profession. We can do better.

/Hedvig

*****

*Tōfā soifua,*

*Hedvig Skirgård*

PhD Candidate
The Wellsprings of Linguistic Diversity

ARC Centre of Excellence for the Dynamics of Language

School of Culture, History and Language
College of Asia and the Pacific

Rm 4203, H.C. Coombs Building (#9)
The Australian National University

Acton ACT 2601

Australia

Co-chair of Public Relations

Board of the International Olympiad of Linguistics

www.ioling.org

Blogger at Humans Who Read Grammars
http://humans-who-read-grammars.blogspot.