[Lingtyp] Kinship systems that distinguish age but not gender

Frank Seifart F.C.Seifart at uva.nl
Wed Jul 19 19:36:42 UTC 2017

Another paper reporting results consistent with Murdoch (1968) is
Nerlove and Romney (1967): About 10% of languages (21 of their 245) make
relative age but no sex distinctions in terms for sibling.

Best,

Frank

Nerlove, Sara & A. Kimball Romney. 1967. Sibling Terminology and
Cross‐Sex Behavior. /American Anthropologist/ 69(2). 179–187.
doi:10.1525/aa.1967.69.2.02a00050.