[Lingtyp] Kinship systems that distinguish age but not gender

Anvita Abbi anvitaabbi at gmail.com
Thu Jul 20 06:18:28 UTC 2017

Dear Hedvig,
The Tibeto-Burman language Liangmai spoken in India has the kinship term
*a-chi* 'my elder brother/sister'. The word *chi* can also be used as an
address form for a person [both gender ] older to the addresser. There is
no word for younger sibling.
Anvita

Prof. (Dr.) Anvita Abbi
Hon Director of Centre for Oral and Tribal Literature
Sahitya Akademi, New Delhi, India
Adjunct Professor, Simon Fraser University
Vancouver, Canada
President: Linguistic Society of India
www.andamanese.net