[Lingtyp] Word order variation between matrix & subordinate clauses

Emily M. Bender ebender at uw.edu
Thu Jul 20 20:59:40 UTC 2017

Dear all,

Two students working with me are adding libraries to the Grammar Matrix
to handled two types of subordinate clauses: those that are modifiers of the
main clause and those that are clausal complements.

In our review of the literature, we have found that sometimes subordinate
clauses are marked (in part) by having a different word order from matrix
clauses,
but we are only familiar with this from Germanic languages.  In particular
we know of two patterns:

(1) German: V2 in the matrix clause and V final in subordinate clauses.
(2) Swedish: Different position of adverbs in matrix v. subordinate clauses
with respect to the finite verb.

Do you know of any other languages that have different constraints on word
order between matrix and subordinate clauses, and in particular any that
display patterns other than the two above?

Many thanks,
Emily

--
Emily M. Bender