[Lingtyp] Wilhelm von Humboldt, 250 years today

Martin Haspelmath haspelmath at shh.mpg.de
Thu Jun 22 06:43:31 UTC 2017

Congratulating living people is potentially risky, but this time I'll
try by congratulating Wilhelm von Humboldt
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wilhelm_von_Humboldt> on his 250th
birthday today, as there seems to be no doubt that the unbroken
tradition of systematic cross-linguistic ("typological") research,
including theoretical speculation, dates back to his work of the 1820s.

He coined the terms "agglutination" and "incorporation", and through the
likes of Bopp, Schleicher, Whitney, Gabelentz, Jespersen and Sapir, this
tradition of thinking about world-wide diversity continued into the 20th
century.

As an introduction to some of the best of his work, I recommend Frans
Plank's paper "On Humboldt on the dual
<http://ling.uni-konstanz.de/pages/home/plank/for_download/publications/66_Plank_Humboldt_Dual_1989.pdf>"
( In Roberta Corrigan, Fred Eckman, & Michael Noonan
(eds.)//1989./Linguistic categorization/, 293-333. (Current Issues in
Linguistic Theory, 61.) Amsterdam: Benjamins.)

As was made clear by Daniel Jacob at the recent FU Berlin workshop
<http://www.geisteswissenschaften.fu-berlin.de/izeus/zentrum/veranstaltungen/konferenzen/index.html>
on the occasion of Humboldt's birthday, Humboldt's interest in language
diversity was also inextricably linked to a Eurocentric conviction that
Indo-European languages are "more highly developed", and to a kind of
anti-enlightenment view that different nations/ethnicities think
differently and thus a universal rationality is not possible (see also
this paper
<https://www.academia.edu/13844365/Zwischen_Universalit%C3%A4t_Historizit%C3%A4t_und_Typologie_Projektionen_des_Verh%C3%A4ltnisses_von_Sprache_und_Denken_bei_W._von_Humboldt>
by Daniel Jacob). This latter view thus separates us from Humboldt, but
nevertheless, I find it interesting to reflect on broken and unbroken
traditions of particular intellectual pursuits.

(Now based in Jena, I also find it intriguing that Humboldt, F. Schlegel
and A. von Schlegel, the three most famous names for typology between
1808 and 1836, all spent some formative years in Jena in the 1790s, the
Schlegels as part of the famous literary movement of "Early
Romanticism". Jena even has a museum for this movement:
https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Romantikerhaus).

Martin

--
Martin Haspelmath (haspelmath at shh.mpg.de)
Max Planck Institute for the Science of Human History