[Lingtyp] Typology of speaker attitude expressions?

Emily M. Bender ebender at uw.edu
Fri Jun 30 23:53:54 UTC 2017

Dear all,

Many many thanks for all the replies!  Below is a quick summary of what I
received.

Emily

* Check http://www.isfla.org/Systemics/Bibliographies/index.html for
language-specific studies.

* Email Jim Martin (jmartin at usyd.edu.au) who has worked on Tagalog in this
regard

* Stef Spronck. 2012. Minds divided: Speaker attitudes in quotatives. In:
Buchstaller & Van Alphen (eds). _Quotatives. Cross-linguistic and
cross-disciplinary perspectives. John Benjamins.  pp.

* Speaker attitude vis-a-vis the content of a noun phrase:

Butler, Christopher S. 2008. Interpersonal meaning in the noun phrase. In
Daniel García Velasco and Jan Rijkhoff (eds.), The Noun Phrase in
Functional Discourse Grammar, 221-261. Berlin and New York: Mouton de
Gruyter.

Rijkhoff, Jan. 2010. Functional categories in the noun phrase: on
jacks-of-all-trades and one-trick-ponies in Danish, Dutch and German.
Deutsche Sprache 38 (Heft 2/10), 97‑123. (Special issue: Modifikation im
Deutschen: Kontrastive Untersuchungen zur Nominalphrase). Online:
http://pub.ids-mannheim.de/laufend/deusprach/ds10-2.html

* Forthcoming (2018) special issue of Studies in Language edited by
Ponsonnet and Vuillermet on evaluation and the expression of attitudes,
including:

Ponsonnet, Maïa. Forthcoming. Introduction. Morphology and emotions: A
preliminary Typology.  In: Morphology and emotions across the world's
languages. Special issue of Studies in Language 42(1).

Ponsonnet, Maïa. Forthcoming. A preliminary typology of emotional
connotations in morphological diminuatives and augmentatives. In:
Morphology and emotions across the world's languages. Special issue of
Studies in Language 42(1).

Vuillermet, Marine. Forthcoming. Grammatical Fear morphemes in Ese Ejja:
Making the case for a morphosemantic apprehensional domain. In: Morphology
and emotions across the world's languages. Special issue of Studies in
Language 42(1).

* Sümeyra Tosun & Jyotsna Vaid. 2016. Making a story make sense: Does
evidentiality matter in discourse coherence?  _Applied Psycholinguistics_.

* Sümeyra Tosun, Jyotsna Vaid, and Lisa Geraci. 2013. Does obligatory
linguistic marking of evidence affect source memory? A Turkish/English
investiation. _Journal of Memory and Language 69:121--134.