[Lingtyp] genifiers (gender markers/classifiers)

Bernard Fradin bernard.fradin at linguist.univ-paris-diderot.fr
Tue Mar 21 11:06:04 UTC 2017

Dear all,

Just a small comment about the blend nature of “genifier”. What is said about English blends seems to be overstated. If we take “brunch”, we can say that it is a breakfast that is a lunch or a lunch that is a breakfast. The order of elements is not relevant since it is dictated by phonology. Even in the case of “smog”, it can be argued that it is a mix of smog and fog (cf. the definition of the online New Oxford American Dictionary: "fog or haze combined with smoke and other atmospheric pollutants”). In addition, many English blends involved elements which are not nouns (adjectives, verbs). In conclusion, the argument against choosing a denomination that is a blend instead of an abbreviation is rather weak. All options are open.

Best wishes,

Bernard Fradin

> Le 20 mars 2017 à 23:23, Bernhard Waelchli <bernhard at LING.SU.SE> a écrit :
>
> Dear all,
>
> ”Genifier” is a blend. English blends seem mostly to denote subordinate-level rather than superordinate level concepts. “Smog” is a kind of smoky fog. Thus, “genifier” would be appropriate for a particularly gendery classifier. What about using an abbreviation instead? We have TAM, TMA and TAME and some people use PNG for person-number-gender (there are actually excellent reasons why numeral classifiers are not included in PNG). Of course, abbreviations have their drawbacks. Also, tense, aspect, mood and evidentiality are functionally motivated terms unlike noun classes. Maybe we should rather use SAE for sex, animacy and evaluation instead of gender (as all grammatical categories have a semantic cores and more irregular language-specific peripheries, why not simply labelling all categories after their semantic cores). Of course, the abbreviation strategy will be problematic as we might want to add more categories, such as shape, size and honorifics (SAESSH ???). So why not just retaining the term gender?
>
> Part of the problem lies in Hockett’s (1958: 231) classical definition: “Genders are classes of nouns reflected in the behavior of associated words”, which makes us believe that agreement and noun classes are necessary conditions for gender. Maybe they are not. Why do we have to keep that definition for gender? But as long as we adhere to this definition, not so strange that we end up thinking that noun classifiers and noun classes are closely related. Things would be different if gender was defined as the grammatical expression of sex, animacy, evaluation and related categories, as TAME can be defined as grammatical expression of tense, aspect, mood and evidentiality.

> [...]

Telephone: (33) 1 57 27 57 84

bernard.fradin at linguist.univ-paris-diderot.fr

Adresse postale / Postal address
Laboratoire de linguistique formelle
CNRS & Université Paris Diderot-Paris 7
Case 7031
5, rue Thomas Mann
F-75205 PARIS CEDEX 13
FRANCE

Adresse géographique / Physical address
Laboratoire de linguistique formelle
Bureau 547
Bâtiment Olympe de Gouges
8, place Paul Ricœur (au bout de la rue Albert Einstein)
F-75013 PARIS
FRANCE