[Lingtyp] nominal classification (gender and classifiers)

Martin Haspelmath haspelmath at shh.mpg.de
Wed Mar 29 16:11:41 UTC 2017

This all makes very good sense, Johanna.

But I have three minor points (which we probably agree on as well):

-- one needs a definition of "gender"/"classifier" if one wants to "put
together a database on noun genders and classifiers" (and my definition
of "genifier" was intended to provide precisely this)

-- the discipline's concepts may always be "tentative, partial, and in
progress", but a specific project's definitions must be clear-cut --
especially if it's a Ph.D. dissertation or M.A. thesis project

-- "gender" and "classifier" may be convenience terms ("potentially
throwaway"), but the terms will not disappear, even if some of us stop
using them; so it may not be a bad idea to give them definitions that
correspond to their actual use

(And I'd argue that "gender" is defined with respect to the number of
markers in traditional practice; I suspect that Greville Corbett did not
count Kilivila as having gender <wals.info/feature/30A> because it has
over 100 "classifiers", even though it has gender-like agreement.)

Best,
Martin