[Lingtyp] nominal classification (gender and classifiers)

khaude at uni-koeln.de khaude at uni-koeln.de
Fri Mar 31 09:16:39 UTC 2017

Dear colleagues,

In Movima (isolate, South-West Amazon), referential elements (i.e.
determiners/articles and pronouns) differentiate between human male,
human female, non-human, and plural referents. Inanimate ("neuter")
referential elements, when used with a human noun, indicate
non-specific or derogatory reference. So for sex-neutral human nouns
like *dichiye* 'child', we get:

m. kus dichiye 'the/a boy'
f. kinos dichiye 'the/a girl'
pl. kis dichiye '(the) children'
n. kos dichiye 'some child (nonspecific); that child (derogatory)'

With nouns that imply sex, the alternatives are of course limited -
e.g. *itilakwa* 'man' cannot be combined with a 'fem.' referential
element. Still, they can be combined with a neutral element (if
referring to an animal or with the above-mentioned effects for humans:
kos itilakwa = 'the male (animal); some man; that man - derogatory'),
which shows that the choice of the referential element does not depend
on the noun, but on the referent.

So this is not agreement, and not even gender (although I labelled it
gender in Haude 2006). I am wondering now whether this system
shouldn't, in fact, rather be considered a case of classification ...

Best,
Katharina

Haude, Katharina. 2006. A Grammar of Movima. Doctoral diss., Radboud
University Nijmegen. http://webdoc.ubn.ru.nl/mono/h/haude_k/gramofmo.pdf