[Lingtyp] wordhood

Olga Zamaraeva olzama at uw.edu
Mon Nov 13 16:48:51 UTC 2017

Dear all,

> It is significant to observe that translators work with words, and they
often strive to render, as much as possible, a word of the source language
with a word of the target language, even though this is often very
difficult.

I would not personally say so. In my (small) experience as a literary
translator, I much more often had to think about whether the overall
impression that the translated text creates is similar to the original,
including things like the style in which the characters talk (overall, not
in any particular sentence). Of course, translators do strive to render the
precise meaning, too, but I find it much more often has to do with the
sentence meaning and even a paragraph meaning (and so on... back to the
overall "meaning"), and direct correspondence between smaller units like
words is often readily sacrificed and ignored.

While it is likely to be different in court and medical translation, I
suspect that there, too, the ultimate goal is not to find a direct
correspondence between two small units of communication, but rather to
convey the full message?

Olga
PhD student
Department of Linguistics