[Lingtyp] wordhood: bonded vs. bound

Mark Post markwpost at gmail.com
Fri Nov 17 01:10:12 UTC 2017

Having been away for some time, I've had some difficulty reconstructing
the chronology of this discussion and some posts containing HTML have
not been fully replicated in the LINGTYP archives, so I sincerely
apologize in advance if I have missed or misconstrued anything that has
been said. That said, it seems to me that an essential problem
underlying the exchange in these threads that may not have been fully
articulated yet is that the concept "word" has multiple personalities.
It is both two things, and one thing:

That is, we know that "word" requires independent grammatical and
phonological definitions, leading to the notions "grammatical (or
morphosyntactic) word" and "phonological (or prosodic) word". And we
know that these two independently-defined units very frequently fail to
coincide: certain forms may be good grammatical words but bad
phonological words (clitics), while other forms may be good phonological
words but bad grammatical words (oddly, I don't think that there is an
accepted term for this perhaps less commonly-identified phenomenon -
please correct me if I'm wrong). And as Hyman, Bickel and others
<https://www.academia.edu/197257/The_phonology_and_grammar_of_Galo_words_A_case_study_in_benign_disunity>have
pointed out, the concepts "grammatical word" and "phonological word"
themselves might be easier or more difficult (or perhaps impossible?) to
define in terms of unified sets of criteria in particular languages.

But at the same time, we can see that these two independently-defined
types of unit very often do align, in many languages, much of the time.
That is to say, we very often get cases in which there is a type of unit
in a particular language between "morpheme" (i.e., whose constituents
are morphemes) and "syntactic phrase" (i.e., which is a constituent of a
syntactic phrase), and a type of unit between "foot" and "phonological
phrase" (although for my own part, I'm less confident about the latter),
and we very often find correspondence between these units. This fact
also seems to merit recognition, and some sort of explanation (and no, I
don't believe that orthography has very much to do with it in an overall
sense - Sinitic and Thai grammarians have the more or less the same
sorts of problems in terms of defining wordhood, despite that the
traditional orthographies for these language groups are in a sense on
opposite ends of the segmentation spectrum).

The clear implication is that wordhood is an emergent phenomenon, as
Ross suggested
<http://listserv.linguistlist.org/pipermail/lingtyp/2017-November/005829.html>
early in the first thread. That being the case, it must be functionally
motivated, although I confess I have a hard time trying to characterize
what that motivation would be - perhaps it's as simple as the (eminently
violable) isomorphism principle? All things being equal, a language
should want one phonological gesture to correspond to one semantic unit,
expressed as a grammatical form, and vice versa? Whatever the case might
be, I feel that unless typologists are prepared to accept fuzzy
"comparative concepts" along the above lines ("words" tend to exhibit
the sets of grammatical and phonological characteristics a, b, c... and
p, q, r...), as opposed to those based on all-or-nothing criteria (an
extension of Dryer's definition of affixes here
<http://listserv.linguistlist.org/pipermail/lingtyp/2017-November/005867.html>,
for example, wouldn't seem to account for endoclitics
<https://global.oup.com/academic/product/endoclitics-and-the-origins-of-udi-morphosyntax-9780199246335?cc=au&lang=en&>,
although to some extent that might depend on analyses), we'll continue
to go around in circles. To take Bickel's statement
<http://listserv.linguistlist.org/pipermail/lingtyp/2017-November/005843.html>one
step further, the problem is not just that there are no Platonic "words"
out there, although that's no doubt true, but also that the use of
would-be-watertight definitions for comparative concepts is
incommensurate with the nature of the object under definition.

Cheers
Mark

PS - can I also point out that there is a session
<https://cloudstor.aarnet.edu.au/plus/index.php/s/l8zu11lidrfJgc1#pdfviewer>in
the coming ALT conference on "wordhood"? It would be nice to be able to
continue some of this discussion there!