[Lingtyp] ordinals: biblio query

Michael Daniel misha.daniel at gmail.com
Fri Nov 17 11:44:57 UTC 2017

Dear all,

on behalf of the same student, Polina Nasledskova, I post here the
aggregated bibliography on ordinal numerals that she was able to collect
from the many responses on lingtyp. I thank all contributors on her behalf.

Michael Daniel

In the lost that follows, I provide first papers related to ordinal
numerals, and then more generally to numerals. References to grammars, many
of which were very extremely useful, are omitted because of the general
nature of the sources.

Ordinals:

Bylinina, L., Ivlieva, N., Podobryaev, A. and Sudo, Y. 2015. An ‘in-situ’
semantics for ordinals. In Thuy Bui and Deniz Ozyildiz (eds.) NELS 44:
Proceedings of the Forty-Fifth Annual Meeting of the North East Linguistic
Society, vol. 1, 135–144. Amherst, MA: GLSA Publications.

Fradin, B <http://www.llf.cnrs.fr/fr/biblio?f[author]=1>. 2015. "87.
Denumeral categories <http://www.llf.cnrs.fr/fr/node/3060>." In Handbook of
Word-Formation, edited by Peter O. Muller
<http://www.llf.cnrs.fr/fr/biblio?f[author]=2>, Ingeborg Ohnheiser
<http://www.llf.cnrs.fr/fr/biblio?f[author]=3>, Susan Olsen
<http://www.llf.cnrs.fr/fr/biblio?f[author]=4> and Franz Rainer
<http://www.llf.cnrs.fr/fr/biblio?f[author]=5>, 1424-1437. Berlin / New
York: Mouton de Gruyter.

Seifart, F. Forthcoming. Patterns of affix borrowing in a sample of 100
languages. Journal of Historical Linguistics. (based on
http://afbo.info/parameters/31#2/38.5/29.4)

Stump, G. 2010. The derivation of compound ordinal numerals: Implications
for morphological theory. Word Structure 3: 205-233.

Stolz, T. 2001. ORDINALIA – Linguistisches Neuland – Linguistisches
Neuland. Ein Typologenblick auf die Beziehung zwischen Kardinalia und
Ordinalia und die Sonderstellung von EINS und ERSTER. In Igla, Birgit and
Stolz, Thomas (eds.), Was Ich Noch Sagen Wollt... A Multilingual
Festschrift for Norbert Boretzky on Occasion of his 65th birthday, 507-530.
Berlin: Akademie Verlag.

Stolz, T., Veselinova, L. 2013. Ordinal Numerals. In: Dryer, Matthew S. &
Haspelmath, Martin (eds.) The World Atlas of Language Structures Online.
Leipzig: Max Planck Institute for Evolutionary Anthropology. (Available
online at http://wals.info/chapter/53, Accessed on 2017-10-25.)

Veselinova, L. 1997. Suppletion in the Derivation of Ordinal Numerals: a
case study. Proceedings of the Eighth Student Conference in Linguistics
(SCIL-8), ed. by B. Bruening, 71-92. Cambridge, MA: MITWPL.

Maurer, P. and the APiCS Consortium. 2013. Ordinal numerals. In: Michaelis,
Susanne Maria & Maurer, Philippe & Haspelmath, Martin & Huber, Magnus
(eds.) Atlas of Pidgin and Creole Language Structures Online. Leipzig: Max
Planck Institute for Evolutionary Anthropology. (Available online at
http://apics-online.info/parameters/35, Accessed on 2017-11-07.)

Gonda, J., 1905-1991. v. 5. Indonesian linguistics / Selected studies :
presented to the author by the staff of the Oriental institute, Utrecht
university, on the occasion of his 70th birthday, 244-254.

Drie, E.G.A. van. 2015. The morphological derivation of numerals. (Bachelor
Thesis).

Bylina, L. and van Drie E. 2015. The morphological derivation of numerals:
typological rarities. // 11th international symposium of cognition, logic
and communication.

Numerals in general:

Hurford James R. 1975. The linguistic theory of numerals. Cambridge:
Cambridge University Press.

Hurford, James R. 1987. Language and Number: The Emergence of a Cognitive
System. Oxford: Blackwell.

Menninger, K. 1969. Number words and number symbols. A cultural history of
numbers. Cambridge,Mass. MIT Press. 480p. [translated by Paul Broneer from
the revised German edition Zahlwort und Ziffer, 1958, Vandenhoeck and Ruprecht,
Göttingen, Germany].

Zhou, K. and Bowern, C. 2015. Quantifying uncertainty in the phylogenetics
of Australian numeral systems. Proceedings. Biological sciences / The Royal
Society.