[Lingtyp] ALT: code of conduct

Völkel, Dr. Svenja svenja.voelkel at uni-mainz.de
Tue Nov 21 09:37:11 UTC 2017

Dear all,

in case, we really need a code, Giorgio Arcadia's summarized version based on Martin Haspelmath) is a proposal that I would support.

Some remarks:

- It is a reasonable guideline to minimize all kinds of disrespect (culture-specific offenses, gender-specific offenses, etc) - it generates awareness but it surely does not prevent personal offenses to happen, unintentionally or deliberately.

- It corresponds to the basic behavior that anthropologists as well as field linguists are taught. More specific versions are hardly possible in view of the numerous culture-specific practices and perceptions.

- In my view, it is sad that it needs to be written down as official code, as these basics of respect should guide inter-personal behaviour anyhow.

Best,

Svenja Völkel