[Lingtyp] Statutes of ALT, voting system

Sebastian Nordhoff sebastian.nordhoff at glottotopia.de
Tue Nov 21 20:21:59 UTC 2017

Dear all,
could someone please point me to the statutes of ALT? I cannot find them
on the website.

I would particularly be interested in who has the right to propose
motions, how motions are voted (and tallied), and whether motions at an
ALT meeting have the same value as "votes" via Internet. For instance,
could somenone propose Martin's or Emily's versions as alternatives to
the current proposal, or can only officers move to vote?

I add that the current "voting system" via Internet probably falls short
of democratic standards. It seems that everybody on this list can vote,
but we have learnt recently that not everybody on this list is a member
of ALT. Furthermore, there are all kinds of issues related to security,
secrecy and verifiability of the vote, which I will not go into here.
For votes which pass with 90%+, which is normally the case for the
elections of the officers, this is not a big deal, but for votes where a
narrower result can be expected, I would require higher democratic
standards.

Best wishes
Sebastian