[Lingtyp] ALT: code of conduct

Emily M. Bender ebender at uw.edu
Tue Nov 21 22:08:33 UTC 2017

Dear all,

Speaking as something of an outsider, I would say that there have
definitely been contributions to this discussion that suggest that, even if
everyone here agrees that harassment is bad, not everyone agrees that
harassment is actually a problem in academia in general, or that it is not
a problem worth addressing.

For example, from Martin's message at the top of the thread:

"I am aware that in Anglo-American culture, such codes of conduct are more
and more widespread, but there are big cultural differences. In most parts
of the world, precarious employment and restrictions on travel are much
more urgent problems that are worth thinking about. I suggest that ALT's EC
consider also other options to make people feel welcome at ALT conferences,
e.g. to increase the participation fees for participants from rich
countries substantially, in order to alleviate the outrageous obstacles to
conference participation that many (potential) ALT members face."

Emily