[Lingtyp] ALT: Two items up for vote

Nicholas Evans nicholas.evans at anu.edu.au
Wed Nov 22 12:19:31 UTC 2017

Thanks Hedvig for pointing this out. With regard to the ANU code of conduct, which will apply to this coming ALT conference by virtue of us hosting it here, please also consult

https://policies.anu.edu.au/ppl/document/ANUP_000623

[https://style.anu.edu.au/_anu/4/images/logos/anu_logo_fb_350.png]<https://policies.anu.edu.au/ppl/document/ANUP_000623>

Procedure : Prevention of discrimination, harassment and ...<https://policies.anu.edu.au/ppl/document/ANUP_000623>
policies.anu.edu.au
Procedure: Prevention of discrimination, harassment and bullying Purpose. To outline the University strategies and responsibilities of staff and students for ...

for further detail and definitions, which I think are clear enough that they avoid some of the objections raised to the ALT CoC by some participants in the discussion. As a co-organiser of the upcoming ALT conference I'd like to assure all participants that we at ANU/CoEDL take this code very seriously as a way of making sure that all participants feel safe, welcome, respected and free from any form of harassment.

The purpose of ALT code, as I understand it, is to make sure that a comparable ethos (subject to whatever modification the membership ends up deciding) is part of the ALT as a society, regardless of where its conferences are held, and it is in that spirit that the current CoC is being proposed. On top of that I think that - in practical terms – the procedures for dealing with any case that may arise during the conference need to be dealt with swiftly, during the conference itself, and local university procedures are generally too slow and ponderous to deal with that. For that reason it's important, in my view, to have a well thought-through procedure for assessing, judging, mediating and dealing with any case which may arise, and I think that a proposal such as the one circulated by Emily Bender earlier would be a good model to follow in any amendment that ends up getting made to the currently proposed version.

Best, Nick Evans

ALT Conference Coorganiser

CoEDL/ANU