[Lingtyp] Ideophonic intonation

Eva Schultze-Berndt Eva.Schultze-Berndt at manchester.ac.uk
Mon Oct 23 21:31:30 UTC 2017

Hi Laura,

I am very interested in prosodic patterns serving to simultaneously highlight and integrate ideophones with "descriptive" context, so I would love to see a summary of responses and/or more literature hints.

As a native speaker of German I have observed a particular contour associated with (usually monosyllabic) ideophones denoting a sudden movement or impact (either of these could be metaphorical, like _zack_ in the example below).

These ideophones behave syntactically like clause-initial adverbs in that they trigger V2, but in addition are accompanied by an extreme high pitch, usually followed by a pause, and the remainder of the clause has a lower and flat intonation (this is speaking impressionistically, not having done prosodic analysis). The example below is linked to an audio file so it can give you an idea. So far I have not found any literature commenting on this.

Best wishes

Eva

Conversation among flat mates:

Wenn man so spontan         ‘nen      Einfall hat

When one so spontaneously INDEF  idea have:PRS:3SG

(0.42)    zack (.)         legt            ma los

  IDEOPH:swift start:PRS:3SG   one off

‘When one has a spontaneous idea,

Zack, one starts off (implementing it)’

(Datenbank für gesprochenes Deutsch