[Lingtyp] tone alone marking plural nouns?

Larry M. HYMAN hyman at berkeley.edu
Thu Sep 28 16:55:57 UTC 2017

Hi everyone - After listening to the recordings I forwarded Iker
Salaberri's message to José Hualde who responded as follows, which I think
could be useful:

On Thu, Sep 28, 2017 at 7:27 AM, Hualde, Jose Ignacio <jihualde at illinois.edu

On Thu, Sep 28, 2017 at 6:06 AM, Iker Salaberri <ikersalaberri at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Dear Mr. Cahill, Lourdes, Sasha and everyone else,
>
> I attach a short (0:54) audio recording with a few of the raising
> (singular) vs. falling (plural) contour tone minimal pairs in Goizueta
> Basque that I told you about the other day, begotten by courtesy of Prof.
> Dr. Juan Joxe Zubiri, from the Public University of Navarre, a native
> speaker of Goizueta Basque himself. To answer your question, yes, he and
> all other Goizuetans can perfectly distinguish such minimal pairs.
>
> Seeing as I do, however, that experts in Basque phonetics and phonology
> much greater than myself, such as Profs. Drs. Miren Lourdes Oñederra and
> Alexandre Arkhipov are present in this mailing list, I would recommend you
> to consult them, should you have any further questions regarding this
> variety.
>
> Kind regards,
>
> Iker Salaberri
>
> On 27 September 2017 at 19:47, Mike Cahill <mike_cahill at sil.org> wrote:
>
>> Dear Iker,
>>

>> Thank you – I had not heard of this at all. This is worth digging into
>> some more to see what’s going on. As I mentioned, I’m particularly
>> interested in cases where a singular noun and a plural noun differ only by
>> tone. It sounds like that happens in the Goizueta Basque. Can the native
>> speakers of Goizueta distinguish these, even if you can’t? If so, I would
>> love to get a few sample recordings of the differences. And thanks also for
>> the attachment – I’ll take a look at that a little later.
>>

>> All the best to you!
>>

>> Mike

Larry M. Hyman, Professor of Linguistics & Executive Director,
France-Berkeley Fund
Department of Linguistics, University of California, Berkeley
President, Linguistic Society of America
http://linguistics.berkeley.edu/people/person_detail.php?person=19

*Support the LSA’s efforts to advance the scientific study of language with
every Amazon Smile
<http://www.linguisticsociety.org/content/lsa-amazon-smile-contribute-today>
purchase
you make throughout the year.*