[Lingtyp] Universal trend: biclausal -> monoclausal?

Paul Hopper hopper at cmu.edu
Mon Dec 3 13:00:09 UTC 2018

Google gives us a great opportunity to check these kinds of things without guesswork. Entering the phrase "want to not" yields thousands of examples, including some explicit discussion of "want to not", "want not to", etc. on the correct grammar sites. It's surprising how many 'starred' sentences turn out to be quite common in actual usage.

- Paul

Paul J. Hopper
Paul Mellon Distinguished Professor Emeritus of Humanities
Department of English
Carnegie Mellon University
Pittsburgh PA 15213, USA