[Lingtyp] Co-expression of future and past

Rik De Busser rdbusser at gmail.com
Tue Dec 11 16:16:36 UTC 2018

Hi Lauren,

Bunun (Austronesian, Taiwan) has a root qabas, which can both refer to a
distant past ('in the old days') and in certain derivations to the far
future. Examples:

Qabas 'in the old days'
Maisna-qabas 'FROM-far.past' > 'from a very long ago (till the point of
reference)'
Sau-qabas-qabas 'UNTIL-RED-far.future' > 'forever'

Best,
Rik

--
Rik De Busser
Associate Professor & Chair

Graduate Institute of Linguistics, National Chengchi University
No. 64 Sec. 2 ZhiNan Road, Wenshan District
Taipei City 11605 Taiwan R.O.C.

T: +886 (2) 2939 3091 ext. 67662 / 88174
ORCID: 0000-0003-2750-3364
www.rdbusser.com