[Lingtyp] query: verbal diminutives

Maia Ponsonnet maia.ponsonnet at uwa.edu.au
Sat Dec 15 03:38:06 UTC 2018

Dear Eva,

Marine Vuillermet and I have just edited a special issue of Studies in Language on "Morphology and emotions across the world's languages" (42:1, 2018), and there's a fair bit in there on verbal diminutives.

Here are links to the table of contents and to the intro

https://benjamins.com/catalog/sl.42.1

<https://benjamins.com/catalog/sl.42.1>https://drive.google.com/file/d/1SFwHidharB2DC6fWNhOyeuWsp-x_v06Q/view?usp=sharing

You will find discussions of verbal diminutives in Nemeth & Sores's paper but also in practically all the papers that deal with diminutives (eg Guillaume p. 122-123, Rose, Taine-Cheikh, Vanhove; see intro).

Here's also a link to the typology of emotional values of diminutives and augmentatives (first article in the issue):

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1zbMY9i7wkg5oyY_CBQjxZSSmlmIlChgl/view?usp=sharing

Finally, you can find discussions of verbal diminutives in Dalabon (Gunwinyguan, non-Pama-nyungan, Australia) in:

Ponsonnet, Maïa and Nicholas Evans. 2015. Dalabon, in Grandi N. and Kortvelyessy L. eds., The Edinburgh Handbook of Evaluative Morphology, 401-407. Edinburgh: Edinburgh University Press.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B1NfWSLfn1gFcWl4ZEdEcVc3N0E

With a more detailed version in Chapter 4 (p. 81ff) of

Ponsonnet, Maïa. 2014. The language of emotions: The case of Dalabon (Australia). Amsterdam: John Benjamins. Collection Cognitive Linguistic Studies in Cultural Contexts. 466 p.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B1NfWSLfn1gFZFNMMTJ0TTZtUEE

I'm happy to send more PDFs etc. if needed.

Kind regards,

Maïa

Dr Maïa Ponsonnet
Senior Lecturer in Linguistics
ARC Discovery Early Career Researcher Fellow

Social Sciences Building, Room 2.36
Faculty of Arts, Business, Law and Education
The University of Western Australia
35 Stirling Hwy, Perth, WA (6009), Australia
P.  +61 (0) 8 6488 2870 - M.  +61 (0) 468 571 030