[Lingtyp] query: verbal diminutives

Elena Skribnik skribnik at lmu.de
Sat Dec 15 13:54:05 UTC 2018

Dear Eva,

yes, Russian also has diminutive forms for addressing babies at least
for 'sleep' (спать > спатиньки) and 'eat' (кушать > кушенькать).

But actually I would like to add (North) Mansi (known also as Vogul,
<Ob-Ugric <Finno-Ugric) to your list. It has two diminutives: -kwe
(positive) and -ris*j* (slightly pejorative): *ɑːɣi ‘girl, daughter’>
ɑːɣi-kwe **‘dear/little girl/daughter’, **piɣ ‘boy, son’  > piɣ-risʲ
**‘(little) boy***’*, **xum ‘man’→ xum-risʲ ‘weak, sickly man’. Both
suffixes are also used with verbs to express positive emotional
attitude, in case of ***-risʲ *with a shade of pity:*

**

*sɑːwx*ɑ*ːlj-ke-mpuŋkpin-imɑljuːlj-i-kwe-t*

*

manybirch-dim-poss.sg<1sgheadbow-cvbstand-prs-dim-3pl

‘Many lovely birches (of mine) stand bending their heads (and I like it).’

ɑkweːkw,wɑːɣ-tɑːlpɑt-əm-risj-ən

grandmotherstrength-dercaritivebecome-mir.pst-dim-2sg

‘Grandmother, poor you became tired!’

*

Best regards, Elena