[Lingtyp] query: verbal diminutives

Randy J. LaPolla randy.lapolla at gmail.com
Mon Dec 17 01:14:27 UTC 2018

Hi Bill,
I think you are on to something there. The Mandarin examples we saw earlier are often said not as a straightforward reduplication, as in the examples given, but with the two tokens of the verb separated by ‘one’, and it has always seemed to me that this is not simple reduplication, but a cognate verb-noun pair, like sing a song, where the second element simply delimits the range or scope of the action. Cf. Michael Halliday’s analysis of this sort of construction in English, where he considers the argument, which he calls Range or Scope, a different kind of argument from a Goal, something that is actually affected by the action. The verb and the Range aren’t always cognate (e.g. play tennis), but the function is the same, delimited the scope of the playing in this case. This is true in Chinese as well, with expressions like shuì (yī) jiào (睡(一)觉) ‘sleep (one) sleep’.

This is not true of The Southern Min variety of Sinitic, though, where it seems to really be verbal reduplication, as we do not find ‘one’ inserted between the two tokens of the verb, e.g.
kiânn kiânn leh (行行咧) [walk walk DIM] ‘just walking/taking a walk’ (where the final particle also helps mark the utterance as ‘just a bit’).

Randy
-----
Randy J. LaPolla, PhD FAHA (羅仁地)
Professor of Linguistics, with courtesy appointment in Chinese, School of Humanities
Nanyang Technological University
HSS-03-45, 14 Nanyang Drive | Singapore 637332
http://randylapolla.net/ <http://randylapolla.net/>
Most recent books:
The Sino-Tibetan Languages, 2nd Edition (2017)
https://www.routledge.com/The-Sino-Tibetan-Languages-2nd-Edition/LaPolla-Thurgood/p/book/9781138783324 <https://www.routledge.com/The-Sino-Tibetan-Languages-2nd-Edition/LaPolla-Thurgood/p/book/9781138783324>
Sino-Tibetan Linguistics (2018)
https://www.routledge.com/Sino-Tibetan-Linguistics/LaPolla/p/book/9780415577397 <https://www.routledge.com/Sino-Tibetan-Linguistics/LaPolla/p/book/9780415577397>