[Lingtyp] Verbs of success with dative subject

Spike Gildea spike at uoregon.edu
Fri Dec 21 16:00:50 UTC 2018

Dear colleagues,

I forward a query from my colleague, Jóhanna Barðdal, who is looking for examples of predicates of "success” with non canonical subject marking, in particular those that take a dative subject.

We are working on Indo-European verbs/predicates with the meanings 'succeed', 'be successful', 'make progress', 'turn out well', 'go well'. The last one in the sense "he is doing well in his dance class" or even "he is doing well in life”.

Thank you in advance for indications of other places in the world where we might find such predicates taking a dative subject!

Best,
Spike