[Lingtyp] Is there 'Raising' triggered by pseudo noun incorporation?

Алексей Виняр alexvinyar at yandex.ru
Fri Feb 2 18:54:51 UTC 2018

Dear colleagues!

I would like to ask you a question about pseudo noun incorporation ((), like described in [Massam 2001, 2009]) and 'raising' ((), see [Mithun 1984: 856-859]). Unfortunately, before asking the question I need a long introduction to define how I understand these notions (sorry about that).

(1) P(seudo) N(oun) I(ncorporation)

ne    [kai  sipi    mo         e       ika   mitaka] a       Sione
PST [eat  chip  COMTV ABS  fish  good]    ABS  SIone
'Sione ate good fish and chips'. (Niuean, [Massam 2001: 160])

(2) NI with 'raising'

a. ətɬəɣ-e         waɬə-∅             pəne-nin                    enaraɬʔ-etə
    father-ERG  knife-ABS.SG  sharpen-3sgA/3sgO  neighbour-DAT
b. ətɬəɣ-e         waɬa-mna-ne-n                   enaraɬʔə-n
    father-ERG  knife-sharpen-3sgA/3sgO  neighbour-ABS.SG
    'Father sharpened a/the knife for the neighbour'. (Chukchi, personal fieldnotes)

As I know, there are many definitions of both NI and PNI (see, for example [Massam 2009], [Borik & Gehrke 2015] and [Johns 2017]), but let's say that PNI is a construction where the object phrase is inseparable from the verb and the head of this object phrase takes no inflection, but doesn't exhibit any phonological cohesion with the verb. As was noted by Diane Massam, pseudo-incorporated objects can be phrasal (see (1), for example).

There are also various approaches to 'raising', but let's stick with the definition given by [Mithun 1984: 856-859]: a construction, in which another participant can take the object position vacated by an incorporated nominal.

I am not an expert in PNI, but, according to my knowledge, there is no language where PNI can trigger 'raising'. So, MY QUESTION IS: do you know any languages where PNI can trigger any kind of 'raising'?

Note: I know that the notions like 'phonological cohesion', 'word' are problematic ([Haspelmath 2011]), and so NI is problematic, too ([Haspelmath 2012]). So, for current purposes let's say that the only difference between NI and PNI is that in PNI construction the whole noun phrase (where the modifiers of the uninflected head noun can bear their own inflection) can enter in the verbal complex.

Looking forward to hear your comments and insights (and thank you for your attention)!

Best wishes,
Lesha Vinyar, NRU HSE, Moscow