[Lingtyp] Pronominal nasality and the areality of iconicity

Volker Gast volker.gast at uni-jena.de
Fri Feb 16 11:06:09 UTC 2018

Hi everybody,
that reminds me of voice quality in Mesoamerican languages and, perhaps,
Spanish under influence of these languages. When I lived in Chiapas I
realized that falsetto voice seemed to have a specific communicative
function in the local variety of Spanish, but I don't know if there is any
literature on that. Voice quality is known to be an areal feature of (at
least some) Mesoamerican languages though, see for instance

http://pubman.mpdl.mpg.de/pubman/item/escidoc:141924:12/component/escidoc:526982/Sicoli_Shifting_voices_Lang_in_Soc_2010.pdf

And see this publication on voice quality and iconic and/or indexical
meanings in general:

https://www.cambridge.org/core/journals/language-in-society/article/falsetto-voice-and-observational-logic-motivated-meanings/3229EF352CF54FEDB56F28D0915FDFB0

Best,
Volker