[Lingtyp] language typology, linguistic typology, comparative linguistics

Randy J. LaPolla randy.lapolla at gmail.com
Wed Feb 28 12:30:18 UTC 2018

Hi All,
I am with Nick on this question, but I am writing to respond to something Sebastian said:

> Arguably, grammatical descriptions do not fall within the scope of LT
> proper (they cover only one language), but still, they seem to be
> associated very closely with typological research questions.

I would argue that they are very much a part of typology, particularly if typology is about diversity, as I think it should be. Think of how Dixon’s Dyirbal  or other grammars have changed the way we think about language and enlarged the scope of typology. This may ruffle some feathers, but I personally have said, and recommend to my students, that anyone can make a very solid long lasting contribution to typology describing a single language, but it is much harder to make such a solid contribution, particularly for students, doing a large scale comparative project with second-hand data on languages one does not know (though of course that is not to negate good studies of that type that have been done—I am just saying it is more difficult).

Randy
-----
Randy J. LaPolla, PhD FAHA (羅仁地)
Professor of Linguistics and Chinese, School of Humanities
Nanyang Technological University
HSS-03-45, 14 Nanyang Drive | Singapore 637332
http://randylapolla.net/ <http://randylapolla.net/>
Most recent book:
https://www.routledge.com/The-Sino-Tibetan-Languages-2nd-Edition/LaPolla-Thurgood/p/book/9781138783324 <https://www.routledge.com/The-Sino-Tibetan-Languages-2nd-Edition/LaPolla-Thurgood/p/book/9781138783324>